The North State Water Alliance (NSWA) is a growing coalition of cities, counties, water providers, business, agriculture and community groups in Northern California. Our common geography and interests have brought us together to work closely on water issues. Our mission is to promote responsible statewide water solutions that protect the economy, environment and quality of life for the north state and for all Californians.
North State Coalition Urges Governor and Legislature to Act on Statewide Solution to California’s Ongoing Water Crisis
Founders of the North State Water Alliance on June 9 joined Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, elected officials, business, labor, agriculture and environmental interests to unveil their criteria for a water bond that reflects a comprehensive solution to meet short-term and long-term water reliability needs for all of California.
During a press conference held at the State Capitol, North State Water Alliance leaders and supporters called upon the California Legislature and Gov. Jerry Brown to act quickly on a water bond that improves statewide water supply reliability for people and nature and that meets the following criteria:
- Maintain water rights – for stability and certainty in water operations.
- Advance new water storage and operational improvements – to increase flexibility in managing water during dry periods.
- Increase groundwater storage – recharge, storage and extraction projects for safe drinking water supplies.
- Improve urban water management – maximize statewide water savings through projects that support recycling, stormwater management and conservation.
- Protect and restore watersheds and ecosystems – prioritize migratory corridors needing immediate assistance including those for salmon and steelhead and water supplies along the Pacific Flyway.